BHU, Varanasi: Joining the long list of celebrities, industrialists and contributors who have chipped in with donations to aid the country’s battle against COVID-19, Banaras Hindu University (BHU) have contributed Rs. 1,15,24,625 to the PM-CARES Fund to support the country’s battle against this pandemic disease, coronavirus.
Being India’s third-ranked University, BHU (Banaras Hindu University) has taken this step and decided to contribute a sum total of Rs. 1,15,24,625 in PM cares fund. All the teaching and non-teaching staffs have contributed their one day salary and Vice-Chancellor Prof. Rakesh Bhatnagar has donated his one month salary which sum-up a total amount of Rs. 1,15,24,625.
Here is the tweet from the VC office-BHU:
पूरा देश एकजुट होकर #COVID19 वैश्विक महामारी के खिलाफ जंग लड़ रहा है। काशी हिन्दू विश्वविद्यालय भी पूरी प्रतिबद्धता के साथ इस जंग में देशवासियों के साथ है। #CoronavirusOutbreak को हराने के लिए #BHU ने ₹ 1,15,24,625.00 की राशि का योगदान #PMCaresFunds में दिया है। @PMOIndia pic.twitter.com/cnNabkfO6d
— VC-BHU (@VCofficeBHU) April 10, 2020
How people are donating to the PM cares fund to fight against COVID-19?
On March 28, just four days after the nationwide lockdown, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the formation of the PM-CARES (Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situations) fund.
It is my appeal to my fellow Indians,
Kindly contribute to the PM-CARES Fund. This Fund will also cater to similar distressing situations, if they occur in the times ahead. This link has all important details about the fund. https://t.co/enPvcqCTw2
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) March 28, 2020
As per the press release, this fund is especially for the catering of the health and economic consequences caused by global pandemic like COVID-19. The money collected is also aimed at enhancing research that will help in overcoming with this virus. The main objective of this fund is the encouragement of public participation to fight with the issues India is currently facing.
PM Narendra Modi has also allowed micro-donations so that donations can be made in the smallest of denominations without a requirement to donate a bare minimum amount. After the PM-CARES public charitable trust fund set up, many citizens along with celebrities and industrialists have come forward to support the government by making donations.
Many other Bollywood actors and industrialists have also contributed to PM-CARES fund to help the government in fighting the battle against this highly contagious virus.
Few of them are listed here:
- Tata Group has pledged to donate Rs 1,500 crore for the cause.
- Reliance Industries pledged to contribute Rs 500 crore to the PM-Cares Fund.
- Aditya Birla Group donated Rs 400 crore to the PM-Cares Fund as a part of its overall commitment of Rs 500 crore.
- Adani Foundation had contributed Rs 100 crore to the PM-CARES fund.
- JSW Group Chairman Sajjan Jindal has said that the company donated Rs 100 crore to the PM-CARES Fund.
- The (BCCI) Board of Control for Cricket in India has pledged to contribute Rs 51 crore to PM-CARES fund.
- The Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar donated Rs 25 crore to the PM-CARES fund.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank pledged to donate Rs 25 crore to the PM-CARES Fund.
- T-Series donated Rs 11 crore to the PM-CARES Fund.
(BHU-Express is on Telegram. Subscribe to our channel by clicking here to stay updated with all the latest news, editorials, admission updates & college events for free!)