BHU News: At the Banaras Hindu University (BHU), students in the intermediate semester of the academic session 2019-20 will not have to take the examination to be held at the end of the semester. These students will be promoted in the next semester. Its order has also been issued by BHU administration. Apart from this, a proposal has been approved to make the national examination as assignment based.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the proposed 2019-20 students in the second, fourth, sixth and eighth semesters in May will be promoted in the third, fifth, seventh and ninth semesters in 2020-21. The decision taken by BHU will be a big relief for about 20 thousand students.
BHU News: Highlights
- Promotion of students of Intermediate semesters ( 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th Semesters) of academic session 2019-20 to higher semesters (3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th Semester, respectively) of 2020-21.
- In the relaxation of the provisions of existing ordinances of the courses on the necessity of obtaining 4.0 CGPA for promotion to the higher year of the course, students of intermediate semesters of academic session 2019-20 would be promoted to higher semesters during the academic session 2020-21.
- Different components of sessionals may be substituted by Assignment based assessment.
- The students may be given the assignment by 31st July 2020 with a time frame of fifteen days for its completion.
- The assignment may be given by the teacher concerned to the students of higher class over email. The students can submit the assignment to the concerned teacher over email. After evaluation (in 30 marks), the marks of sessionals would be uploaded by the teacher concerned on the portal latest by 31 August, 2020.
- Keeping in view the UGC Guidelines, the distribution of weightage of sessionals and end semester examination for students of intermediate semesters be fixed as 50:50.
- Marks against the seasonal component of 50 marks would be based on the evaluation of the assignment.
- Marks against end semester component of 50 marks would be based on the performance of the student in the preceding semester, For example, if SGPA of a student (of 4h semester during 2019-20) in 3rd semesters was 8.21, the higher percentage of marks using the conversion formula (% of marks= 10 x CGPA- 4.5) becomes 77.60% which can be apportioned against 50 marks.
According to the information released by the PRO cell, to make the national examination based, teachers can send e-mail, electronic medium assignments to the students, which will have to be completed within a period of 15 days. In addition, in cases where Sessional has either been completed or partially completed before the university is closed in March 2020, students will be given the option of assignment-based Sessional exam.
Here is the tweet from BHU officials:
#BHU की कार्यकारी परिषद् ने शैक्षणिक सत्र 2019-20 के मध्यवर्ती/अंतिम सेमेस्टर के छात्रों के लिए सेशनल परीक्षा को असाइनमेंट आधारित बनाए जाने के विद्वत परिषद् के प्रस्ताव को मंज़ूरी दे दी है। इस के तहत शिक्षक ई-मेल/इलेक्ट्रॉनिक माध्यम से छात्र-छात्राओं को असाइनमेंट भेज सकते हैं। pic.twitter.com/B50cAHW2i1
— BHU Official (@bhupro) August 5, 2020
Whichever student has scored more marks, marks will be given in the final form. While intermediate semester students will be promoted in the next semester and are also exempted from the mandatory to get 4.0 CGPA for promotion in the next year. According to the information released by BHU administration, for the students of intermediate semester of session 2019-20, the weight of the session and the end of the semester will also be distributed in the ratio of 50:50 as per the UGC guidelines.
Examination marks at the end of the semester will be based on the student’s performance in the earlier semester. The university administration has also decided that if the student is not satisfied with the marks obtained on this basis, then he can improve his grade by appearing in the examination of such courses available in the upcoming academic sessions.