COVID-19 or Novel Corona Virus is creating great chaos in the whole world. It has been declared a pandemic by WHO (World Health Organization). The virus has taken the lives of almost two lakh people from all over the world. The data is increasing day by day, every single day starts with the data of fresh cases and new deaths. This deadly virus has stopped the life of people. During such a pathetic situation some people are creating fake news, forwarding fake messages on social media which is also creating a lot of problem for the people. Here, in this article, every information provided is true and reliable.
WHAT IS CORONA VIRUS?
Coronavirus is basically a family of viruses with some causing less severe common cold to more severe diseases such as acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). Many coronaviruses are zoonotic (transmitted from animals to humans). SARS coronavirus is thought to be an animal virus spread among humans perhaps by the bat. MERS coronavirus was passed on from dromedary camels to humans in Saudi Arabia in 2012.
HOW CORONA VIRUS LOOKS LIKE?
It is also like other viruses, spherical and have mushroom-shaped proteins called spikes protruding from the surface and giving the virus a crown-like appearance. The researchers also found that SARS coronavirus binds to the cellular receptor called angiotensin-converting enzyme, which serves to every point of human cells.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19?
The symptoms of coronavirus or COVID-19 appears within two to fourteen days after exposure and include fever, cough, a runny nose and difficulty in breathing.
HOW CAN THE DISEASE BE DETECTED?
The virus can be detected by RT-PCR (Reverse Transcription Polymerase chain reaction test). This test is based on DNA and can quickly tell if someone harbours the virus.
HOW THE DISEASE IS SPREAD?
The disease is highly communicable and can get transmitted very easily. It basically spreads through the respiratory droplets of infected people. Also, if the person touches anything or any object that has been infected by the virus or touched by an infected person, and then touches his/her mouth or eyes can get infected with the deadly disease.
WHO IS AFFECTED?
People of all ages can get affected by this deadly virus. But people aged 80 or above 80 are at high risk of dying due to the COVID-19. Also, the persons having pre-existing medical issues such as cardiovascular disease or diabetes have higher fatality rates.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT?
There is not any proper treatment for this disease yet. But the doctors and scientists are trying their best for the search of vaccine and proper treatment for this disease. In India, the UNION HEALTH MINISTRY GUIDELINES has recommended use of anti-HIV drug combinations of Lopinavir and Ritonavir on a case to case basis depending upon the condition of the coronavirus infection. Also, in Delhi the experiment of the treatment from blood plasma is taking place. Under this technique, antibodies from the blood of patients who have recovered from COVID-19 are used to treat severely infected persons.
PROBLEMS FACED BY THE DOCTORS DURING THE TREATMENT
Doctors are the only hope for the treatment of this deadly disease. They are doing their duties perfectly but at some places, the society is not cooperating with them. They have to wear PPE suits and N-95 masks while treating the patients and it’s not easy to work in PPE suits for a long time as they are air-tight and cause sweating even in airconditioned rooms. Moreover, the female doctors and nurses are tolerating the worst behaviour of some patients for the sake of our country.
HOW CAN WE PROTECT OURSELVES FROM COVID-19?
There are various guidelines issued by the WHO (World Health Organization) by practising them we can protect ourselves from this deadly virus.
- Washing with soaps: Our hands contain innumerable viruses and bacteria. Washing hands only with water can remove microbes up to a great extent but it doesn’t remove all. So, washing hands with soap is more effective than washing hands only with water.
- Alcohol-based sanitisers: Alcohol present in the soap dissolve the lipid envelope, thus inactivating the virus. Alcohol also tends to change the shape of the virus. The sanitiser will not work on the oily and greasy hands.
- Using a mask: Masks also help to prevent the infection of coronavirus. If it is worn properly it can reduce the chances of transmission of the virus. Many studies have also proved that wearing a mask can prevent the disease.
- Social distancing: Social distancing is one of the most important measures to prevent the outbreak of this disease. WHO (World Health Organisation) has also declared that we should maintain at least 1 metre or 3 feet distance from the person who is sneezing or coughing.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth: Our hands touch many objects every day and we don’t know how many viruses and bacteria they catch. So, if we don’t touch our eyes, nose and mouth there would be less possibility of the viruses and bacteria to enter our body.
STEPS TAKEN BY THE GOVERNMENT
Government is also taking various steps to reduce the risk of COVID-19. Government has issued the order of lockdown which is very important to break the chain of infected persons. Moreover, the government has launched an app named Arogya Setu to educate the citizens about the virus and keep watch over their movement. With this app, a person and his contacts can easily be traced if he gets affected by the virus. Government has also launched many welfare schemes for the people who can’t survive in this lockdown, e.g. Government is providing free gas cylinders to the poor women, transferring money in their Jan Dhan Accounts, helping poor by providing ration, etc.
SOME MYTHS ANSWERED
- Should people start avoiding meat-based food to prevent transmission? – The answer is no. This disease is a respiratory disease. It has nothing related to food or pets. People can eat whatever they want but they have to clean it properly before cooking.
- Is there any homemade remedy to treat COVID-19? – The answer is very obvious here i.e. no there is not any such remedy. Prevention is always better than cure and we should follow this only.
- COVID-19 can’t be transmitted in the areas of hot and humid climate- There is not any such study and far from the evidences it is already clear that this virus can be transmitted in every area. So, this is only a myth, which is not true at all.
I just hope that you all have got the information you needed related to this pandemic. Please do comment and share your views and perspectives related to this disease.
STAY SAFE and STAY HEALTHY.