Remember the time when humans were on a race ? The race to explore new planets ,the race to produce more, the race to be on the top, the race to be a leading economy in the world, the race to win.. Well, all that has been put on halt for a while. The Novel Corona virus popularly known as COVID-19 has put the world on a break.
The virus outbreak was first identified in the Wuhan province of China in December, 2019. Since then, all the economies of the world started spreading awareness and taking precautionary measures. Considering the intensity of the situation, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared it as an pandemic on 11th of March, 2020. As of now, the COVID-19 virus has affected everyone globally. The virus which started from China has now severely affected all the nations of the world, causing severe damage in Italy, Spain, Brazil and Iran.
How does it spread ?
The global COVID-19 virus typically spreads from one person to another through respiratory droplets produced during coughing or sneezing. Primarily, it spreads when people are in close contact but it may also spread when one touches a contaminated surface and then their face. It is most contagious when people are symptomatic, although spread may be possible even before symptoms appear.
The symptoms include:
- Dry cough
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle or joint pain
- Sore throat
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Nasal congestion
However, these symptoms are also of common fever ,cough and cold but there is no clear distinction when a person has common fever and corona virus.
As of now, there is no Coronavirus Vaccine developed. Thus, the only thing an individual can do is to take up the following precautionary measures:-
- Maintaining good personal hygiene
- Washing hands with soap, hand wash or sanitizer regularly for 20 seconds to kill the virus
- Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Using a handkerchief or tissue paper while coughing or sneezing
- Wearing a surgical mask
- Maintaining social distancing
- Avoid hand shakes
- To Interrupt human-to-human transmission including reducing secondary infections among close contacts and health care workers, preventing transmission amplification events, and preventing further international spread.
- Identify, isolate and care for patients in early phase, including providing optimized care for infected patients too.
- Identify and reduce transmission from the animal source.
- Address crucial unknowns regarding clinical severity, extent of transmission and infection, treatment options, and accelerate the development of diagnostics, therapeutics and vaccines.
- Communicate critical risk and event information to all communities and counter misinformation.
- Minimize social and economic impact through multisectoral partnerships.
The novel COVID-19 has affected the world globally. Not only China , various nations including Italy ,Spain, United States of America has been also affected. On an individual level everyone seems to be hit, the children’s, the daily wage workers, the employees, the business tycoons, the government agencies. It seems as if our normal and routine life has gone for a toss. The streets of the cities wear a deserted look , people sitting idle at their homes with their family members waiting for the situation to improve, the doctors and the nurses working tirelessly day and night to treat the victims, the government agencies taking up the charge and persuading people to realize the need of the hour etc. It seems as if the whole world has gone for a break, all the industries are shut, people avoiding unnecessary travels, the pollution levels are brought down and the nature taking its time to rejuvenate itself. It seems as if we are back to the square one, the old and primitive living , understanding the importance of everything in life and desperately waiting to overcome this Novel COVID-19 and return to our daily life.
Hope, you find this article useful. For further queries, feel free to ask in the comment section below.
- Article by:- Priyotosh Ganguly