Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) is one of the most popular undergraduate course amongst them who wants to follow their passion and focus on building careers other than in academic sectors. It is a three-year course (6 semesters) which is offered by Faculty of Performing Arts, Banaras Hindu University. Admission in Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) is based on the BHU-UET and a practical exam. If you are willing to pursue this bachelor degree from Banaras Hindu University, then you are at right page. Get complete information about Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) course on this page including about the course, procedure of admission, eligibility, availability of seats and many more information. Just keep scrolling.
|Course||Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA)|
|Course Type||Regular (full-time)|
|Location||Faculty of Performing Arts|
|University||Banaras Hindu University|
|No. Of seat||140 (Male & Female)|
|Admission Procedure||On the basis of BHU-UET|
|Course Code||171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177|
What is the BPA all about?
This course deals with theoretical classes, practical, case studies, performances which brings a holistic development of a student in a respective domain. History of music, ragas, taal, different compositions are taught.
Outline of course:
- RAGAS- Bhairav, Yaman, Bageshree, Todi, Bhupali, Malkauns, Bheempalasi, Darbari Kanhara, Puriya, Multani, Bihag, Miya-Malhar, Maru Bihag, Jaunpuri, Rageshree.
- TAALS- Ek Tal, Teental, Roopak, Jhaptal.
- Theka, tha, dugun, tigun, chaugun, beat, Sool tal, Pancham savari,Jhumra, Dhumali, Dadra
- History of Sangeet, origin, types, classification.
- Analytical Study of Raga & Tala
- Students are also taught Environment Studies as one of a major compulsory subject in the course.
- Critical and comparative study of different aspect of sectors.
- Life sketch of prominent personalities in the field of instruments, dance, singing etc.
- There is also availability of optional subject which a student can peruse of their choice.
Every year, Banaras Hindu University conducts a common entrance exam for taking admission into various undergraduate, postgraduate and diploma courses. It is one of the most prestigious and highly ranked central universities in the country.
- Age of candidate should not be more than 22 years.
- SC / ST and PC categories candidates will be given 5 years relaxation in upper age limit.
- OBC category candidates will be given a relaxation of 3 years along with upper age limit.
- Candidates who have passed class 12 or equivalent examination or undergraduate/postgraduate degree holding candidates are eligible to apply.
- Candidates who have studied any one of the following subjects vocal music / instrumental music/dance (Kathak / Bharatanatyam) can also apply for BPA.
- Candidates who have completed 3 years Diploma in Vocal Music / Instrumental Music / Dance (Kathak / Bharatanatyam) examination of BHU or equivalent examination.
- To get admission, candidates need to get minimum 50% marks in Music Practical / Dance Practical in each case. However, SC / ST candidates need only pass marks.
- SC / ST candidates: SC / ST candidates do not require a minimum total percentage of marks in the qualifying examination as they only have to pass the qualifying examination.
- OBC and PC candidates: For OBC and PC candidates, there will be a relaxation of 5% marks in the qualifying examination overall.
|Vocal/Instrumental/Dance||● Senior Diploma Exam. of the Prayag Sangeet Samiti, Allahabad.|
● Madhyama Exam of the Bhatkhande Sangeet Vidyapeeth, Lucknow.
● Madhyama in Music Exam. of Madhya Pradesh Govt., M.P.
● Madhyama Exam. of A.B.G.M.V. Mandal, Mumbai.
● Madhyama Exam. of Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh,
● Bhushan of Pracheen Kala Kendra, Chandigarh.
|For Dance only||● Passed Part-time Diploma Exam. of five years of Kalakshetra, Chennai|
● Senior Certificate Course issued under the auspices of Tamil Nadu Govt.
● Five-Year Diploma of Bharatiya Nritya Mandir, Patna.
● Bhushan of Pracheen Kala Kendra, Chandigarh.
Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) application form
For seeking admission into BPA course from Banaras Hindu University, candidates need to follow the given prescribed set of procedures of BHU which starts from –
- FILLING UP OF FORM- First and primary step to get admission is filling the form issued by BHU and available at official website in the month of January – February, every year. (bhuonline.in)
- ENTRANCE TEST- After that entrance examination is conducted by BHU across India at different centres either online or offline (majorly online). Of which candidates can download their admit card one week prior to the scheduled date from their portal on the official website.
- PRACTICAL – For taking admission in BPA, one has to give their practical test too for qualifying entrance test. 45% is minimum qualification marks that an aspirant needs to score in which examiner may ask for practical knowledge of the course.
- COUNSELING- Once after completion of test, counselling process starts based on the merit list of marks/ ranking that a candidate secured in entrance test which includes the marks of both CBT and Practical.
- Around 2-3 times students are called in respect of available seats for this process. For e.x. if a course has 20 seats, around 40- 60 candidates are called for counselling in respect of course and available seats. The call letter is uploaded on their portal.
- At last, the final result is declared and allotment of college is made as per the preference of candidates for subjects and availability of seats.
Availability of Seats
Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA) course is an undergraduate course offered by the Faculty of performing arts.
|Course||Number of seats|
|171 B.P.A. (Instrumental Sitar – North Indian Classical Music)||20 (male & female)|
|172 B.P.A. (Instrumental Flute – North Indian Classical Music)||20 (male & female)|
|173 B.P.A. (Instrumental Violin – North Indian Classical Music)||20 (male & female)|
|174 B.P.A. (Instrumental-Tabla- North Indian Classical Music)||20 (male & female)|
|175 B.P.A. (Dance – Kathak -Indian Classical Dance)||20 (male & female)|
|176 B.P.A. (Dance – Bharat Natyam -Indian Classical Dance)||20 (male & female)|
|177 B.P.A. (Vocal – North Indian Classical Music)||20 (male & female)|
BHU Scores and Points: The marks obtained by the candidate, the order of overall merit and all relevant information and marks related to BHU scores will be sent to the candidate by mail as well as by SMS. Candidates can also check the official answer key of BHU and calculate their marks.
No deviation of BHU result: Banaras Hindu University will not entertain any request for revaluation or investigation of answer sheets under any circumstances. Also, no questions about this will be considered. BHU UET results will be available on BHU official website.
The merit will be on the basis of two components viz. Marks obtained in theory and practical tests.
Examination minimum qualification marks
- BHU UET Examination (Theory) = 35%
- Practical = 45%
Admission will be done on the basis of merit in UET only, subject to fulfilment of eligibility requirements and availability of seats in special courses for which the candidate has applied.
All regular seats in the main campus will be filled on the priority and once they are filled Counseling will be held for paid seats on the BHU main campus and the seats are finally allocated for the affiliated colleges.
|Category||Amount (in Rs.)|
Pattern of BPA Entrance Exam
There will be one theory paper and two practical exams. Practical examination of the shortlisted candidates will be held at Banaras Hindu University Campus, Varanasi. The presence of candidates in both theory and practical examination is considered to be mandatory for admission.
The question paper will be prepared on the basis of BHU’s three-year diploma course Vocal, Instrumental and Dance or equivalent examination. Questions are generally centered on music, personalities, instruments, etc.
- Total Questions: 100 MCQs
- Duration: 2 hours (120 minutes)
- Type: Online (Computer Based Test)
- Mark: 300 marks
- Type: Performance and Viva
- Duration: 45 minutes
- Mark: 600 marks
Questions will be based on Vocal, Instrumental- (sitar, flute and violin), Instrumental- (tabla), Dance-Kathak and Dance-Bharatanatyam. Students may be asked to perform and they will be evaluated by the panel of examiners on several prescribed parameters and marked accordingly.
This course is best suited to them who sincerely follow their passion and build their career in non-orthodox academic fields like Doctor and Engineer. After completion of BFA course, there is a wide range of career options are available. The film industry, media, theatres like options are available with the degree holder of Bachelor of Performing Arts graduates. The success in this field is entirely dependent on the talent, skills of a candidate. One can choose for further studies I.e. Masters of Performing Arts (MPA), Diploma courses, Doctor of Music(D.Mus) or divert the line in shows, theatres, Industry etc. whichever may suit them.
- Criticism or Government Institutions
- Street Plays & Stage Shows
- International Festival Organizations
- Cultural Organizations
- Film Industry
- Graphic Designer
- Reality show participants
- Assistant Professor
- Music & Dance Teacher
- Theatre Organiser