The Master of Arts in Anthropology is a postgraduate degree that is offered by the Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Science, Banaras Hindu University. The course is 2 years of duration. Admission in M.A. in Anthropology is based on the BHU-PET marks. If you are willing to pursue this masters degree from Banaras Hindu University, then you are at the right page. Get complete information about M.A. in Anthropology course on this page including about the course, procedure of admission, eligibility, availability of seats and much more information. Just keep scrolling.
Admission is given to the students on the basis of BHU-PET marks. The qualifying students are required to clear a counselling round which is done only when they have passed their entrance examination.
|Course||M.A. in Anthropology|
|Course Type||Regular (full-time)|
|Location||Department of Sociology|
|University||Banaras Hindu University|
|No. of seats||Min: 05 & Max: 37|
|Admission Procedure||On the basis of BHU-PET|
The minimum eligibility criteria for students who want to pursue Master of Arts in Anthropology from Banaras Hindu University are given below :
- Candidate must hold a bachelor degree in any stream, preferably in Anthropology, from a recognized institute in India
- Must have secured an aggregate of at least 50% marks in the Bachelor’s degree examination.
- An entrance exam score (BHU-PET) is needed for admissions.
What is M.A. in Anthropology all about?
M.A. in Anthropology is a two-year postgraduate course offered by Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Science, Banaras Hindu University. This program provides an in-depth study of evolution and socio-cultural development of human beings.
The course covers an advanced study of several branches of Anthropology such as socio-cultural, biological-physical, applied, linguistic and archaeological, dealing with the various aspects of human development.
What are the stages covered in BHU-PET?
Before appearing for the M.A. in Anthropology, the candidates should know all the details about the steps involved in the entrance exam. Keep the following steps in mind:
- BHU PET Registration and Application Process
- Procedure for filling the application form of BHU-PET
- BHU PET Admit Card released
- BHU PET Entrance Exam
- BHU PET Results Announced
- Counselling and seat allocation process of BHU PET
- BHU PET admission process
M.A. in Anthropology application form
For seeking admission into M.A. in Anthropology course from Banaras Hindu University, candidates need to follow the given prescribed set of procedures of BHU which starts from –
- FILLING UP OF FORM- First and primary step to get admission is filling the form issued by BHU and available at official website in the month of January – February, every year. (bhuonline.in)
- ENTRANCE TEST- After that entrance examination is conducted by BHU across India at different centres either online or offline (majorly online). Of which candidates can download their admit card one week prior to the scheduled date from their portal on the official website.
- COUNSELING- Once after completion of test, counselling process starts based on the merit list of marks/ ranking that a candidate secured in the entrance test (BHU-PET).
- Around 2-3 times students are called in respect of available seats for this process. For e.x. if a course has 10 seats, around 20- 30 candidates are called for counselling in respect of course and available seats. The call letter is uploaded on their portal.
- At last, the final result is declared and allotment of college is made as per the preference of candidates for subjects and availability of seats.
Availability of Seats
M.A. in Anthropology course is a postgraduate course offered by the Department of Sociology, Faculty of Social Science, Banaras Hindu University.
|Location||Number of Seats (Min)||Number of Seats (Max)|
|Department of Sociology||05||37|
Rs. 60,000 per annum
|Category||Amount (in Rs.)|
M.A. in Anthropology Exam Pattern
It should be noted that the M.A. in Anthropology exam is conducted in online mode. Candidates can select the preferred mode while filling the BHU-PET application form.
BHU-PET (M.A. in Anthropology)
Offline or Online
10+2+3 or equivalent
No. of questions
Type of questions
Details about the MA Anthropology program has been given below:
- MA Anthropology program involves the study of human beings and other living beings and the development of societies over the years.
- This course aims to provide its candidates an insight into advanced learning in the biological, socio-cultural, prehistoric and similar avenues of human evolution.
- The course basically covers an advanced study of several branches of Anthropology such as socio-cultural, biological-physical, applied, linguistic and archaeological, dealing with the various aspects of human development.
- Anthropology is the study of mankind as a whole, from its origin to the present day.
- The course offers those interested, an opportunity to work and relate to people of diverse groups and cultures, and to closely interact with them.
- Academic Institutes
- Conservation Organisations
- Minority Commissions
- Anthropological Survey of India
- Historical Societies
- United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF)
- Art Galleries
- Forensic Science Departments
- HR Departments of Corporate Houses and Industries
- World Health Organisation (WHO)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
- Culture Resource Manager
- Research Scholar
- Social Worker
- Tour Guide
- Urban Planner