Shastri (Hons.): Shastri (Hons.) is a 3-year undergraduate course offered by Faculty of Sanskrit Vidya Dharma Vijnana (SVDV), Banaras Hindu University. Degree of a Shastri is also awarded to a student in a stream other than Sanskrit after a degree in India’s old college system. This degree enables students to become recognized Hindu priests and religious teachers.
|Course Name||Shastri (Hons.)|
|Faculty||Faculty of Sanskrit Vidya Dharma Vijnana|
|University||Banaras Hindu University|
|Course Type||Regular (Full-time)|
|Course Duration||3 Years|
|Mode of Application||Online (CBT)|
|Procedure of Admission||BHU-UET (Merit-based)|
|Total Number of Seats||375 (male & female)|
|Fees||Rs. 2795/- per annum|
BHU Shastri (Hons.) Admission is done on the basis of BHU UET marks. Shastri Honors is a 3-year course (6 semesters) and is imparted at Sanskrit Vidya Dharma Faculty, SVDV, Varanasi, BHU Campus. BHU Shastri Honors UET application process starts in the month of January every year by the release of application form for UET. BHU Shastri Honors Course Code is 187. Get full details on BHU Shastri Honors. Just keep scrolling this page.
Total Number of Seats
Total seats for BHU Shastri Honors. 375 for both men and women at Faculty of Sanskrit Vidya Dharma Vijnana (SVDV), Banaras Hindu University.
Shastri (Hons.) Eligibility Criteria:
- Candidates applying for admission must be 22 years of age.
- SC/ST and PwD categories candidates will be given 5 years relaxation along with upper age limit.
- OBC category candidates will be given a relaxation of 3 years along with upper age limit.
- Candidate should have passed BHU/Madhyamma/North Madhyamma/Sub Shastri/Intermediate or 12th standard examination or equivalent with minimum 50% marks, Sanskrit as a subject in the relevant examination and also pass in it.
- Candidates doing a one-year certificate course in Sanskrit of BHU are also eligible after passing 10 + 2 examination with 50% marks in aggregate in both class 12 examination and certificate examination.
- Candidates appearing in the qualifying examination can also apply.
- SC / ST candidates: For SC / ST candidates, there will be no minimum percentage of marks in the qualifying examination, except that they must have passed the qualifying examination.
- OBC and PC candidates: For OBC and PC candidates, there will be a relaxation of 5% marks in the qualifying examination overall.
Candidates can apply for Shastri (Hons.) via online mode only. There is no offline process to fill the BHU UET application form.
Online Mode: Candidates can apply through online mode by visiting the official website. As per the process provided to the candidates, the application form has to be filled. There is no offline way to fill the BHU UET application form, so application forms and information bulletins will not be sold at university counters or elsewhere.
- The student must appear and qualify the entrance test (BHU-UET) and complete all the formalities related to the course to take admission.
- The selection of candidates will be completely based on their Merit Index in the entrance exam.
- The actual admission will start after the declaration of the results. The Admission Committee of the department will do the procedure. The Head of Department will issue e-call letters to the selected candidates to appear for counselling procedure with certain documents.
- The call letters will be available on the BHU portal, i.e., bhuonline.in . Login to the portal to download and print the call letter. The information to selected candidates will prevail through their provided E-Mail I’d or Mobile Number. Candidates are advised to give correct information.
- The hostel will be allotted to the students on the basis of the Merit Index and distance of the college from their residence.
BHU Shastri (Hons.) Fee
BHU UET Shastri Honors application fee is different for all categories of candidates, who will fill the normal BHU UET online form. Candidates are required to pay the application fee given below through online mode which is in cash through credit card/debit card or net banking and any branch of HDFC Bank.
BHU UET application fee – Shastri Hons
|Category||Fees (in Rs.)|
Pattern of Entrance Exam
There shall be one paper of 90 minutes (One and half hours) duration carrying 300 marks containing 100 multiple-choice questions. These questions will be based on knowledge of Hindi and Sanskrit Languages of Madhyama/10+2 or equivalent examination standard.
- Duration: 90 minutes.
- It will have 100 multiple choice questions consisting of 300 marks.
- Standard: The question paper will be of +2 exam or equivalent.
- These questions will be based on knowledge of Hindi and Sanskrit languages of Madhyama / Class 12 or equivalent examination.
- Marking Scheme: A zero mark will be awarded for each untapped question and one mark will be deducted for each wrong attempt.
Faculty of Sankrit Vidhya Dharma Vijnana offers different Shastri (undergraduate), Acharya (Post Graduate), Diploma, Special course and Vidyavaridhi(PhD) courses under many departments and subjects.
The faculty of SVDV was established in the year 1918 by great founder Pt. Madan Mohan Malviyaji in order to fulfil the chief goal of this University i.e. to preserve and promote the studies of Ancient Indian Shastras, Sanskrit language and literature. Available course under different departments are –
|Veda||Rigveda, Krishna Yajaurveda, Samveda, Atharvaveda|
|Jyotish||Ganita Jyotish, Falit Jyotish|
|Vaidic Darshan||Sankhyayoga, Vedanta, Nyayavaisheshika, Puranetihasa, Prachina-nyaya|
|Dharmagam||Agamtantra, Nigamtantra, Dharmavijnan|
|Dharmashastra & Mimansa||Dharmashastra, Mimansa|
|Jain -Bauddha Darshan||Jain Darshan, Bauddha Darshan|
Once after completion of Shastri (Hons.) students can opt for further studies like in post-graduation they can go for Acharya. Or further option for PhD is also available with them. If students want to get a job just after completing Acharya various streams, Banaras Hindu University also provides placement opportunities to their candidates but one can also look for some promising sectors which are open for them like:
- Sanskrit Teacher
- Shastras expert
- Horoscope Reader
- Religious Teacher.
In the field of literature, ancient cultures of India, mythology, Puja recitation, worship, infinite opportunities are there for a Shastri pass-out students.