Faculty of commerce is popularly known as Shri Thakur Ratan Pal Singh College. How many of you know the fact that the Department of Commerce was established as an adjunct to the Department of Economics in 1940, the Silver Jubilee year of BHU.
- The Faculty of Commerce is the only faculty in Banaras Hindu University that is named after an individual.
- It grew as a separate faculty in the year 1965, on the eve of Golden Jubilee of BHU.
- In 1968, developed and introduced Management courses as a separate discipline of study.
- In 1975, it was renamed as the Faculty of Commerce and Management Studies on the occasion of Diamond Jubilee of BHU.
- Due to rapid growth and development of the faculty the need to separate the departments arose. Finally, in 1984, two separate faculties from the existing faculty was created, Faculty of Commerce and Faculty of Management Studies.
- In 1984, the faculty started offering B.Com (honours), M.Com (honours), and PhD degrees.
- In 1999, the faculty introduced new course namely Master of Finance and Control (MFC) followed by three more courses Master of Risk & Insurance Management (MRIM), Master of Foreign Trade (MFT) and B.Com (Honors)-FMM. These courses were renamed in 2015.
- In 2015, the faculty started offering M.B.A. in Financial Management and M.B.A. in Financial Management (Risk & Insurance).
The faculty’s infrastructure is great. It has 3 Seminar Halls and an Auditorium. It has a library with all the essential books required by the faculty students. The computer lab of the faculty is fully equipped with the modern computers network based on Wireless Facilities and LAN internet connectivity. The labs compliments with proper classrooms and professors and a healthy environment to gain knowledge. The faculty also provides separate hostels for boys and girls for food and lodging. The boy’s hostel provided is D.R. I.N. Gurtu Hostel and the hostel provided to girls are in Triveni Complex, BHU consisting 6 hostels with fixed allotted seats to students of Faculty of Commerce in both of them.
All types of courses related to commerce are offered to the students here to the students.
- Under Graduate – B.Com (Hons.) & B.Com (Hons.) FMM
- Post Graduate – M.Com (Hons.), Master of Financial Accounting (MFM), Master of Financial Accounting (Risk & Insurance Management) (MFM-R) & Master of Foreign Trade (MFT)
- PhD offered to desirous students by qualifying Research Entrance Test (RGT) who have already qualified NET\JRF.
The Head & Dean of the Faculty of Commerce is D.R. O.P. Rai (the Chief Proctor of BHU). The faculty strength is 46 having 15 Assistant Professors and 31 Professors along with their Research Scholars.
The faculty has conducted many national and international conferences and seminars along with two All India Commerce Conference and an All India Accounting Conference. The faculty has published many research papers and articles. It has produced more than 250 PhD’s and completed a large number of research projects. At present approx. 1500 are studying in various courses of the faculty. It attracts and entertains students from all over the world due to foreign courses provided by the faculty.
As each one of you must have read about the latest news of the NIRF ranking of BHU, i.e. “3”. Now you know the value of being a BHU student. The environment here has its own essence and magic. The faculty itself is improving and growing its academic and research structure with the rapid changes in the business environment.