B.A. is one of the most popular undergraduate courses which stands for Bachelor of Arts. Students pursue this course just after the completion of their 12th grade. It is a 3-year undergraduate course offered by Faculty of Arts, Banaras Hindu University (BHU). The Bachelor of Arts (B.A) is most popular among humanities students and has various specializations under BA Humanities. As part of the BA curriculum, students are required to study five compulsory subjects along with some elective subjects. These subjects vary depending on the discipline chosen by the candidates.
Here are some important facts to know about Bachelor of Arts:
- The Bachelor of Arts is a three years course.
- As part of the BA curriculum, students are required to study five compulsory subjects along with some elective subjects. The elective subjects vary depending on the discipline chosen by the candidates.
- Candidates may pursue BA courses as full-time courses or even part-time courses, correspondence courses or distance learning mode.
- BA courses are offered by colleges under various streams like philosophy, history, Mass Communication and literature, psychology etc.
|Course||B.A. (Hons.) Arts|
|Course Type||Regular (full-time)|
|Location||Faculty of Arts + Affiliated colleges|
|University||Banaras Hindu University|
|No. Of seat||2441 (Male & Female)|
|Admission Procedure||On the basis of BHU-UET|
- Candidates desirous of taking admission in Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) should obtain a total of 55% marks in their 10+2 examinations from any recognized Board/University.
- Age should not be more than 22 years.
To be a part of Capital of Knowledge, one should follow a prescribed set of procedures of BHU which starts from –
- FILLING UP OF FORM – First and primary step to get admission is filling the form issued by BHU and available at official website in the month of January – February. (bhuonline.in)
- ENTRANCE TEST – After that entrance examination is conducted by BHU across India at different centres either online or offline (majorly online). Of which candidates can download their admit card one week prior to the test from their portal on the official website.
- COUNSELING – Once after completion of test, counselling process starts based on the merit list of marks/ ranking that a candidate secured in entrance test.
- Around 2-3 times students are called in respect of available seats for this process. And call letter is uploaded on their portal.
- At last, the final result is declared and allotment of college is made as per the preference of candidates for subjects and availability of seats.
Availability of Seats
Bachelor of Arts course is offered by Faculty of arts and the seats are not only limited to campus but also available at different affiliated colleges too.
|Location||Number of Seats|
|BHU Main Campus||765 (Male & Female)|
|Mahila Maha Vidyalaya (MMV)||286 (Female only)|
|Arya Mahila Post Graduation College (AMPGC)||383 (Female only)|
|Vasanta Kanya Mahavidyalaya (VKM)||286 (Female only)|
|Vasanta College for Women (VCW)||412 (Female only)|
|DAV Post Graduation College||309 (Male & Female)|
|TOTAL||2441 (Including all subjects and streams.)|
Pattern of Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Entrance Exam:
For admission to the BA (Hons) Arts program, the entrance exam syllabus includes general mental ability, general awareness, basic knowledge of plants and animals, numerical ability, environment and its pollution, natural resources of industry, human body, questions from human health, Indian Cultural Heritage with special focus on current events in common diseases, solar system, climate and weather, population explosion, production of food and raw materials, history, Indian thought, literature and art. Also, the question paper of entrance exam will include two sets of MCQ’s on language comprehension. This course offers a wide range of stream to choose and get specialization in a selective domain.
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) Program:
BA is most popular among humanities students and there are various specializations under BA Humanities. These are subjects offered by Faculty of Arts, BHU:
- Pali and Buddhist Studies
- History of ancient India
- Culture and Archeology
- Indian philosophy and religion
- history of Art
- language science
- home Science
Skills required for a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Candidates who wish to pursue a BA course need to be interested in the subjects they choose to pursue in the course. Some of the important skills that candidates must possess to pursue the BA course are given below:
- Is a good writer
- Fluent in language
- Intellectually curious
- There are open options for a student after completing their UG course, as candidates can pursue the MA course in the same course in which they did their graduation. Candidates who want to pursue their career as teachers, they can opt for B.Ed course after completing a BA degree.
- Apart from these options, candidates are informed that after completing the BA course, they are eligible to appear in the government examination.
However, aspirants can choose to go for a job after completing their BA course. Some popular job profiles that candidates can adopt after BA course are –
Content Writer: In this job profile, one needs to do research over the various sources like internet, books, articles, magazines etc. for information and create original, authentic and genuine content for the medium and company they work in.
Social workers: In such a job profile one needs to identify the core issues and problem of the society and then step out to help in their hardships and to solve problems.
Airhostess/Flight Steward: In this job profile, one is involved in the aviation industry and is responsible for ensuring the safety and security of passengers in an aircraft. In addition, an airhostess / flight steward also provides refreshments to passengers in an aircraft.
Specialization: English, History, Hindi, Sanskrit, Philosophy, Urdu, Sociology, etc.
There is huge scope and in the field, students need to identify the opportunities and grab them at the correct time with proper guidance. Talking about the average salary may vary with course, skills, experience, sector, job profile etc. But in general, it stands around 4-7LPA.
Top recruitment sectors:
- educational institutions
- economic development
- export companies
- business houses
- foreign affair
- law firms
- lobbying firms
- media houses
- field research firms
- industrial houses, etc.
(BHU-Express is now on Telegram. Subscribe to our channel by clicking here to stay updated with all the latest campus news, editorials & college events for free!)