Table of Contents
B.Voc as a course is gaining popularity in India because of the focus on skill-based education. With central government programs such as Skill India, vocational education will pave the way for more employment opportunities in the various sectors of the economy especially IT and Manufacturing. Both of which are tipped to grow exponentially.
In this article, we are going to discuss all the important details like fees Structure, duration, of course, eligibility, etc related to B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management at Banaras Hindu University.
About B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management
Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc) in Catering Technology and Hotel Management or B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management is a 3 years undergraduate para-professional course offered by Banaras Hindu University to the candidates who wish to gain practical experience in the field of hotel management and catering technology rather than theoretical knowledge. The main aim of this course is to give out skills related to providing the best service and a flawless experience to customers from start to end.
About B.Voc course
B Voc courses are usually skilled development programs that include extensive training and hands-on experience in a particular field. This program is specially curated for the benefit of the students who wish to enrich their skills and expertise towards a decent salaried job. The B.Voc course is suitable for candidates who want to go for a job immediately after completing their studies.
- B.Voc. or bachelor of vocational studies or bachelor of vocation.
- It is a 3-year UG course that has a large range of specializations to choose from. the essential eligibility for B.Voc. The course can be pursued by the completion of higher secondary education (class 12th) from any recognized board in India.
- Bachelor of Vocation (B.Voc) course is designed in a way that includes the work and skill requirement of various industries into its programme and helps to train the candidate of the course in order that they can be work-ready with an enhancement of the industry skill.
- The curriculum offers a combination of vocational and business management ideas
- The candidates who look forward to the practical knowledge are given the real time applications so that they can sharpen their practical skills.
|Course||Bachelor of Vocation in Catering Technology and Hotel Management|
|Course Type||Regular (full-time)|
|Location||Faculty of Arts|
|University||Banaras Hindu University|
|Number of seats||62 (Male & Female)|
|Admission Procedure||On the basis of BHU-UET|
A candidate willing to seek admission in B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management must have passed his/her 10+2 or equivalent, in any stream or NSQF certificate or any other equivalent examination recognized by the University securing at least 50% marks in aggregate.
- The candidates should have passed the 10+2 examination or an equivalent examination from a recognized board.
- A candidate must have atleast 50% marks in their 12th standard.
- Candidates having a diploma degree after Matric qualification are also eligible.
- Candidates having level 3 certification by NSQF along with Matric qualifications alone are also eligible
Procedure of Admission
Students can fill the application form for B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management through the university portal. you just need to follow the instructions mentioned below and at last pay, the required fee and then your application will be submitted.
- Open the BHU Online Entrance Test Portal by clicking on ‘www.bhuonline.in‘ for the online application process.
- Click on the ‘Apply for Admission’ button.
- Students will be redirected to a new page having Applicant Login Box. Click on the ‘Register Yourself’ link.
- Now the registration form will be opened. Students have to enter information like (Email ID, Password, Name, Date of Birth, Father’s Name, Address, and Mobile No etc) and click on the ‘Sign Up’ button.
- Students must keep in mind that after the successful registration their details cannot be changed later.
- Students must select the course which is “Bachelor of Vocation in Catering Technology and Hotel Management (188)” and click on the Add course button.
Apply for Selected course
- After adding the particular course, the status of the submitted application form will appear on the screen.
- At this point, students need to enter the information regarding ‘Application details’, ‘Test Centre Preference’, ‘Upload Photograph’ and ‘Signature’.
- After clicking on the Application details button, some of the details would be prefilled at the time of registration. Students are required to fill in the other details and click on the “Save” button.
- Then students need to fill in the preference of Test Centre by clicking on the “Test centre Preference” button and click on the “Save & Continue” button.
- Then students need to upload the passport size scanned colour photograph and signature and click on the “Upload Photograph & Signature” button.
- Following is the dimension required of the image of the photograph and signature.
|Photograph||4.5 cm x 3.5 cm||100 KB|
|Signature||4.5 cm x 3.5 cm||100 KB|
Final Review of Application Form
- Students are advised to preview the application form before final submission because once the form is submitted it cannot be edited further.
- Then click on the “Proceed for submission and payments” button.
Fee Payment & Application Submission
The students can submit the application fee through both online and offline modes. The explanation of both modes is as follows:
- Students can pay the entrance test fee exam online by using Netbanking/ Credit Card/ Debit Card through the payment gateway available on the portal and click on the “Continue for Online Payment” button.
- Students can also pay the fees in cash at any branch of HDFC through challan printed from the portal and click on the “Continue for Online Payment” button.
- After the successful payment of entrance test fees, students will get an e-mail message from the entrance test portal that the application is submitted successfully.
For filling of Subsequent Application
- If students need to fill the application forms for the other courses they are not required to fill in the applicant Details’, ‘Correspondence Address and Parent Details’, Uploading of Photograph and Signature’ and ‘Preference of Test Centre’.
To complete the application and finally submit the application form you need to complete the last step which is to submit the fee. The fee for every course is the same regardless of which course it is.
|SC/ST/PC||₹ 300 (for one course) ₹ 200 for added courses|
|Others||₹600(for one course) ₹ 400 for added courses|
Total number of Seats
There is a total number of 62 seats available for admission in B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management. The location of this course is at the Faculty of Arts, BHU main campus.
Duration of course
The duration of B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management course is 3 years (6 semesters). However, there are different exit policies. Candidates can leave the program at the end of the first and second year with a Diploma or Advanced Diploma.
Course Fees Structure
|Fees||Amount (in Rs.)|
|University Fees||1,981 (Per semester)|
|Special Course Fees||50,000 (Per semester)|
|Assessment Fees||5,000 (On time)|
After completing the B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management, there are various job opportunities for the student to work with big hotel chains including Taj Group, ITC, Oberoi Hotels, Hilton Group etc. There is a huge demand for skilled professionals in the merchant navy and cruise ships. So if you are looking for a career in Catering Technology and Hotel Management then it can be a good decision.
After doing a course in this field, ample job opportunities are waiting for the students in various sectors like Cafeteria, Airline Catering (Flight Kitchen) and Cabin Services, Club Management, Cruise Ship Hotel Management, Hospital Administration and Catering, Hotels and Tourism. Associations in Indian Navy, Hospitality Services, Forest Lodges, Guest Houses, Resorts, Kitchen Management Catering Departments of Railways, Banks, Armed Forces, Shipping Companies etc. Taj Group, ITC, Oberoi Hotel, Hilton Group for the student after completing the course There are various job opportunities to work with big hotel chains including etc. There is a huge demand for skilled professionals in the merchant navy and cruise ships.
After doing a course in this field, ample job opportunities are waiting for you in various sectors like Cafeteria, Airline Catering (Flight Kitchen) and Cabin Services, Club Management, Cruise Ship Hotel Management, Hospital Administration and Catering, Hotels and Tourism. . Associations in Indian Navy, Hospitality Services, Forest Lodges, Guest Houses, Resorts, Kitchen Management Catering Departments of Railways, Banks, Armed Forces, Shipping Companies etc.
Some of the most common job profiles that a B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management student can opt for along with the job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below:
Hotel Manager: The name ‘Hotel Management and Catering Technology’ implies that students will learn not only the principles of hospitality but also the principles of management. Being a hotel manager means overseeing and directing all the activities that take place in the hotel. It is definitely one of the highest paying and top profile jobs that a hotel management course can offer. To become a successful hotel manager, candidates must possess excellent communication, managerial and interpersonal skills. They oversee the overall operations as well as play the role of an intermediary between the top management and other workers.
Chef: So, who needs an introduction? Chefs are famous all over the world because they are respected and are in great demand all over the world. In this degree, students get industrial training on beverage services, food production, bakery etc and hence they can make a great career as a chef. can. The main task with them is to come up with new recipes, fine-tune the menu and prepare high-quality dishes as per the demand and expertise of the consumer. They ignore the overall functioning of the kitchen and delegate the kitchen staff to give the best of pleasure to the customers. The best hotels largely rely on these professionals as they play a vital role in customer retention hence they are paid very well.
Steward: A steward is someone who assists in the functioning of a bar, restaurant, lounge, etc. The steward performs the basic task of serving the customer in a dine-in restaurant or even in-room service in coordination with the restaurant manager, owner, etc. Traits that help to become a steward include excellent communication skills, patience, polite interpersonal skills, and a willingness to work extra hours.
Banquet Manager: Banquet halls are booked for almost every function whether it is a small or big gathering from a birthday party to a wedding etc. And in a gathering, all have to be taken care of: food, services, catering etc. Hence, it makes the job of the Banquet Manager very responsible to ensure all fall in line with the demand and expectation of the customers. This is again one of the most lucrative job opportunities and hence it demands quality traits like excellent communication skills, human management, organizational skills, attentiveness, problem-solving, etc.
Restaurant and Food Service Managers: This is the profile that is on par with hotel managers. These professionals are responsible for overseeing the activities of sectors or organizations serving food and beverages. They can be managers of franchises, eating joints, restaurants, etc. Again, becoming a restaurant and foodservice manager requires managerial skills, along with excellent communication and a willingness to lead.
Entrepreneur: After completing this degree candidates can start their own business. They can set up their own hotels, restaurants, eating joints etc. But yes, you need to have the support of one of the best hotel management colleges in India. Best colleges give proper support to those people who want to start a new venture in this field to develop potential ideas and provide financial support.
Front Office Manager: Front Office Manager works in the top senior position in the office environment who is responsible for handling all customer queries and calls, ensuring that the customer is taken care of and with accounts as per his requirement. Accommodation is provided accordingly. and supervise the professional workspace. Those who aspire to become a front office manager must possess qualities such as excellent communication skills, managerial skills and good leadership qualities.
Floor Supervisors: Floor supervisors work in the hospitality industry to provide an excellent experience to patrons. They oversee and look after front-end operations such as opening and closing operations, a delegation of employees, etc. This is again a beneficial job profile through which many other options open up.
Housekeeping Supervisor: The housekeeping staff make your stay better, like really good. The housekeeping staff is responsible for maintaining cleanliness and hygiene. The housekeeping supervisor supervises the entire housekeeping staff. Housekeeping supervisors can work in hotels, hospitals, resorts, office buildings, etc.
Opportunities in Government Sector: The government sector offers various career opportunities to hotel management graduates. They can find jobs in various government sectors like Airlines, Indian Railways, Indian Navy Hospitality Services, Shipping and Cruise Lines, State Tourism Development Corporation etc.
B.Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management degree holders can prefer to do jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher studies. The most popular choices of education on completion of a B Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management degree are as follows.
- M Voc: After completion of B Voc in Catering Technology and Hotel Management course, candidates can opt for M Voc course.
- MBA: A large number of engineering graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test.